(The first version of what follows was copied on 13 Poutū-te-rangi 2006 from Wikipedia:Kōrero)
Alphabetical order - where should macronised letters go?[edit source]
Our energetic German friend Gangleri has asked me this, but I think it needs several of us or maybe just the "mi-3+" people:
- Halló Robin! I would like to have your feedback concerning WiktionaryZ T: Collation by a certain locale and new magic words.
- Please take a look at wikt:template:wikivar and "related red templates" at wikt:is:template:wikivar. Would be happy if you could take care of the "red templates".
(There's a bit more on my talk page)
I didn't know what it was about at first reading. That's because I hadn't looked at Collation by a certain locale. Clearer now.
Do we want our 10 macron characters to follow Z or z in lists or do we want them close to the vowels they resemble?
Robin Patterson 21:25, 8 Poutū-te-rangi 2006 (UTC)
(This deserves a separate page; maybe Kahuroa can suggest a name for it but this - from Reed - will do meantime: project:whakarārangi-ā-pū)
- I am not sure that there is an official way for the macronised letters to be listed in the alphabet. I have submitted a query to the korero maori website and it will take a few days for them to get back to me - I hope I get a useful reply, not just waffle. Kahuroa 07:06, 9 Poutū-te-rangi 2006 (UTC)
- Here's the reply (excerpt only since I dont think I should post someone else's email with any identifying elements):
- There is no 'official' order as such to the alphabet. The complete Māori alphabet looks something like this: a ā e ē h i ī k m n o ō p r t u ū w wh ng
- Hope that helps Kahuroa 04:36, 10 Poutū-te-rangi 2006 (UTC)